Dangerous Drug Reactions
Dangerous Reactions to Prescription Drugs
We entrust our doctors with our health and have faith that the medications they prescribe will be safe and effective. Even so, adverse drug events (ADEs) account for more than 3.5 million physician office visits and 1 million emergency department visits each year.
About Dangerous Drug Reactions
Medication mishaps can occur anywhere in the distribution system, from prescribing, repackaging, dispensing and administering to monitoring. Common causes of these errors include poor communication, ambiguities in product names, directions for use, medical abbreviations or writing, insufficient procedures or techniques and patient misuse from a poor understanding of directions.
Pharmaceuticals are also hazardous when unknown allergies exist, or if warnings are not clear about side effects. Many medications are rushed to the market before they are adequately tested. Because of this, the consumer and doctors are often unaware of the drug’s potential side effects until the damage has already been done.
Consequences of Dangerous Drug Reactions
When a prescription medication results in an adverse reaction, the results can vary from a mild allergic reaction to a painful and even lethal experience. Severe and disfiguring injuries may occur as a result of dangerous drugs, such as Stevens-Johnson Syndrome and other life-threatening conditions.
Adverse drug reactions can lead to serious injury, such as:
- Birth Defects
- Hypersensitivity Reactions (including Stevens Johnson Syndrome and Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis)
- Dangerous Drug Reactions
- Tissue Damage
- Kidney Failure
- Liver Failure
Who Is Liable for My Injury?
In most cases, the drug manufacturer will be held liable for creating a dangerous drug leading to adverse reactions.
Other parties that can be held liable include:
- The laboratory that tested the drug is responsible for ensuring a drug is not unreasonably dangerous. If clinical tests fail to catch a defect in the drug and an adverse reaction occurs, the laboratory can be sued for damages.
- The sales representative who sold the drug to healthcare providers are often compensated based on the number of drugs they can sell to a doctor or medical facility. Because of this, drugs are sometimes marketed “off-label,” and are sold for different purposes than those for which they were originally developed.
- The doctor, clinic or hospital that prescribed you the drug can be held liable for your injury if you were not warned of the possible side-effects.
- The pharmacy who sold you the drug bears the final responsibility to advise you about the drug. Pharmacists can be held liable for your injury for failing to do so.
When to Contact an Attorney
If you have suffered from an adverse drug reaction or experienced a worsening of your symptoms since taking a drug, you should immediately seek help. After contacting your doctor for medical advice, you should next seek legal help by speaking with an attorney.
Even if your drug reaction is minor, you may be one of many victims of a dangerous drug. By entrusting your potential case to a skilled drug liability lawyer, you will have the best chances of receiving compensation for your pain and suffering.
How Searcy Denney Can Help
Since 1976, the lawyers of Searcy Denney have devoted themselves to the aggressive representation of thousands of plaintiffs who have suffered injury or even died as a result of defective products, including dangerous drugs, medical devices and other consumer goods.
If you or someone you know has been a victim of a drug reaction, contact our drug attorneys at Searcy Denney by calling (800) 388-3905 today. Protect yourself with a free-consultation where you can learn more about your legal rights and which precautions to take for preserving evidence.
- Defective Medical Devices
- DePuy ATTUNE Knee Replacement
- DePuy Hip Implants
- Ethicon Surgical Stapler
- IVC Filters
- Metal on Metal Hip Replacement
- Mirena IUD Injury
- Stryker Hip LFit V40 Recall
- Vaginal Mesh Products
- Zimmer Biomet Shoulder Implant
- Stryker Rejuvenate Hip Implant
- SMF Hip System & REDAPT
SIGN UP FOR SAFETY ALERTS
FIND OUT IF THERE ARE FDA WARNINGS,
RECALLS OR UPDATES ON YOUR MEDICINE AND DEVICES
FACTS ABOUT THE FIRM
The attorneys at Searcy Denney have more than 40 years of experience pursuing success for our clients with over 5 Billion Dollars in case results.
Fill Out the Form for a Free Case Evaluation Today
WEST PALM BEACH
2139 Palm Beach Lakes Blvd. West Palm Beach, FL 33409 (800) 388-3905
Towle House 517 N. Calhoun St. Tallahassee, FL 32301 (888) 549-7011